Wednesday, March 29, 2006

(p)Rose by any other name....



This is a very entertaining article, about pseudoymns & the whys and wherefores of adopting one. I am currently writing under a pseudonym, mainly because I am fearful of being Googled by those who know me & being found wanting before I've had the opportunity to "prove" myself or test my work, but it is interesting to see the reasons why others adopt them. Some because they are (and this brings a tear to my eye!) TOO prolific. Others opt for an assumed name to disguise the fact that they are writing outside their "genre", or to prevent alienation of their readership, as in the case of the male authors of romance fiction ~ puts pay to the myth that there's such a thing as "chick lit", which I've always found to be an extremely pejorative dismissal of female authors, borne of the snobbery which decrees you are not a valid "artist" if you are making a living at it, rather than starving in a garrett with an opium addiction. Yes, a lot of so called "chick lit" is tosh of the highest order, but how come there's no equally dismissive blanketing of the testosterone-pumped likes of Tom Clancy as "dick lit" ?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mumsnet does exactly what it says on the tin. I stumbled upon this little gem whilst googling for roast chicken recipes (and have finally plumped for this amazing dish from Nigella) and am hooked by the banality of it all. Clearly someone thinks it's quicker to post a message asking "Sausage Casserole - what do I need?" (err, give us a minute, love, errr, you need err, .....err....nope, it's gone) than to simply google "sausage casserole" in the first place. And frankly I can't believe that no-one has previously addressed the burning issue of "Dirty nappies - should libraries deal with them?" (this is Discussion of the Day, no less). It seems that your brain really does drop out with the afterbirth ~ which is great news cos I'm planning to have a one of those things next year some time, after which I am really rather looking forward to a phase of blissed-out mummyness.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
New series of Green Wing tonight ~ can't wait! Mmmmmm, hello, Dr McCartney.......

1 comment:

Kate.Kingsley said...

Apparently they remove your sense of humour along with the afterbirth.........

Such a shame that you felt the need to hide behind an assumed name, and very sad that you went to all the trouble of creating a blogger account for yourself just to make your bitter little comment. Too much time on your hands, love. Try lightening up, eh?