Monday, March 20, 2006

This week I have been.....



Wow, I have been terribly remiss with my blogging of late! Inexcusable I know, but I have had a very busy time recently, gorging myself on the cultural smorgasbord that is the following:

1) Went to see Walk the Line. If you haven't seen it yet, then why not?! Phoenix was good, but bless the poor guy, however hard he tried he was always going to be eclipsed by the truly luminous Reese Witherspoon; she was breath-taking in both the quality of her acting & her beauty. I generally think that the Oscars are a load of self-aggrandizing artificial Hollywood onanism, but her award was most definately deserved. I was a little disappointed in the portrayal of Vivian, Cash's first wife, as it seemed very slightly sketched, a little 2-dimensional, but I suppose the focus was the love story between June & Johnny, so she became little more than a plot device. It made me slightly uncomfortable though, given that her children are still alive. How would I feel watching a cinematised version of my father cheating on my mother? Uncomfortable stuff.

2) And I also went to see this. Now I can take or leave the Boosh ~ if I'm in the room I'll watch it, and I'll chuckle, but I won't make a detour for it. But I purchased the tickets as a gift for my boyfriend, who is a big fan, and I have to say that I enjoyed it about twenty times more than I expected to (although I worry that I didn't quite always get it all, not being sufficiently well-versed in the whole Boosh mythology). I was really smitten with the "parallel universiness" of it all, as I myself am still looking for that gateway to another world, in the backs of wardrobes, through a looking glass, at the top of a magical tree. I know there's a doorway somewhere.....
However I was slightly perturbed by the VAST amount of saddoes who turned up dressed as Vince Noir. Sad, sad, sad. I'm sure that they think they are achingly hip and individual, but here's a clue guys: when there's one hundred and fifty other people in the same building dressed the same, you're pretty much kissing the arse of conformity. Grow a personality. And some better hair.

3) And watched Team America last night, which was very very funny, if a little juvenile at times. If you haven't seen it, then you need to see it, if only for the "Montage" montage....

4) And I received back my first assignment for this course, for which i scored a personal best of 90%! I feel extremely boffinesque!

5) And I've been looking at this writing site a lot, which is very interesting, informative and inspiring: Jacqui Lofthouse ~ writing coach.


6) And trying to get a bit more creative here.

Phew!

No comments: